This guide will show you how to Root Samsung Galaxy S3 T999 by T-Mobile that already runs with Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) firmware build T999UVALJ4-T999TMBLJ4-T999UVLJ4.
Occasional rooting method like installing CWM and root kernel, will automatically triggers the binary flash counter of your Samsung Galaxy S3. This rooting technique will not trip the input system security unto your Galaxy S3.
This rooting method is already proven safe and will not harm your device, since rooting has been quite too complicated. This is most likely you just installed the original firmware unto your phone, but in manual method by using of Odin downloader tool. The firmware used on this process is the original firmware previously released by Samsung from Kies or OTA, but has been already injected with a rooted system image, so once installed it will add root to your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 automatically. But you can easily unroot it in-case you need the warranty back anytime you want. I also have included the guide below on how to restore back your device to its original state.
Disclaimer: Use of this guide is solely at your own risk! Rooting will void the warranty of your device.
Guide: How to Root T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 runs in ICS 4.0.4 T999UVALJ4
Grab the needed files:
- Odin flasher – Odin3_v3.07
- USB Driver – SGS3_T999_USB_Driver
- Download and Extract the stock rooted I747MVALLH1.
- Stock Rooted T999UVALJ4 Download – root66_TMO_T999UVALJ4.7z
- Make a back up copy of all important files stored from the phone, before you proceed (for safety).
- Use PC with Windows OS (Odin will not work on Mac and Linux OSX)
- Make sure to fully recharge your battery
- Use the original supplied USB cable for your Galaxy S3
1. Run Odin on your PC desktop
2. Boot the Galaxy S3 into download mode screen for Odin.
Turn it off, once completely shut down hold down the ‘HOME’ + ‘VOLUME DOWN’ buttons and press the ‘POWER’ button for about 2 seconds until a WARNING! Screen appears. Press the ‘VOLUME UP’ button to continue or enter Download Mode. It will then display an – Android Robot and says ” Downloading.. DO not turn off target”
3. Connect the phone to PC via USB. Then make sure you can see as phone “Added” in Odin log box or a highlighted (blue color) COM:ID, once the device is detected or recognize with Odin.
4. In Odin window, DO Not tick ‘RE-Partition’ only Tick ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F. Reset Time’ and nothing else.
5. Now load the rooted stock ROM.
Click odin’s PDA button then select the root66_TMO_T999UVALJ4.tar
6. Click on “Start” to begin flashing.
7. Wait until the flashing finishes, DO NOT remove nor touch anything unless it completely finishes.
8. Remove the phone from PC once rebooted.
How to UnRoot: Remove Root on T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 restoring the original stock ROM
The process is still the same above, but this time you need to flash the original, unmodified and unrooted T999UVALJ4/T999TMBLJ4/T999UVLJ4 stock ROM.
Here’s the original T999UVALJ4/T999TMBLJ4/T999UVLJ4 firmware unzip or extract it after downloaded, so that you’ll get the odin flashable tar file. T999UVALJ4_T999TMBLJ4_T999UVLJ4.tar.md5
Again, load it on Odin’s PDA button and flash it!
You will then have a unrooted device, without any hassles of resetting the binary flash counter.
That’s it! Any questions and or related issues about how to root and unroot T-Mobile’s Samsung Galaxy S3 T999 just let us know.
The rooted T999UVALJ4 stock ROM was created by mrRobinson (XDA-developer recognized contributor) all credits goes to him. Original thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1771687