Canada’s Samsung Galaxy S II X SGH-T989D has just received the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update.
This update now comes in a new build version “T989DTLUMC4” and brings the following new features and enhancements;
Actionable notifications will show up in the notification panel.
Jelly Bean makes your Android device even more responsive by boosting your device’s CPU instantly when you touch the screen, and turns it down when you don’t need it to improve battery life.
With Android Beam, you can now easily share your photos and videos.
As you place widgets on the screen, everything else automatically moves to make room. If they’re too big, widgets resize on their own. If you choose to resize a widget, apps and widgets will now also move out of the way.
Google Now automatically delivers relevant real-time information.
Now, for those who might wants to learn how to root their Samsung Galaxy S2 that already runs the latest T989DTLUMC4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean build might read guides below. The old rooting method from previous Ice Cream Sandwich version will not work anymore on this Jelly bean update. But thank’s to the folks at XDA-Developers we still have a fully working root method for this updated handset.
Disclaimer: Rooting voids the warranty of your device. We and the developer of this rooting procedures shall not be held responsible if any undesirable outcomes may happen to your device. use of this root guide is solely at your own risk!
Install TWRP Recovery in Odin
- Make sure the battery is fully charge
- Run Odin downloader tool.
- Reboot the phone into download mode – Turn it OFF. Then hold down both volume buttons and plugconnect USB cable into your phone. (or hold volume down and power button). Press the volume up button when you see this menu.
- Just be sure that Re-Partition is NOT checked. leave Auto reboot and F-Reset time checked by default.
- Click the PDA button in Odin. Browse to the TWRP file “openrecovery-twrp-22.214.171.124-hercules.tar” you downloaded and select it.
- Now hit Start button and Odin will flash the recovery.
- Once Odin has finished flashing you will see a green PASS.
Install SuperSU and Gain Root
- Reboot into recovery. Power off your phone. Hold both volume buttons and the power button at the same time. When the phone vibrates, let go of the power button but keep holding both volume buttons. In a few seconds you should be in the recovery menu.
- TWRP will tell you that the phone is not rooted and ask you if you want to install superSU. Say yes.
- Phone will reboot, and in your programs there will be a superSU installer. Open it.
- Just follow the TWRP prompts.
Now you fully rooted your Samsung Galaxy S2 T989D Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean ‘UMC4’.
credits to [Rushing] via XDA-developers thread.
How to unroot?
In-case you need to remove root, just download the original and unrooted stock T989DTLUMC4.
Just flash it using odin, same method as it goes like flashing the TWRP recovery above.