Android Open Kang Project just released AOKP JB-MR1 Build 4 for HTC One XL (Evita). This build is based on AOSP Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Avid fans and users of AOKP ROM can now install this latest update build released on your HTC One XL. The AOKP is one of the most popular among other custom ROMs for it is stable, faster, smoother and lot more added features. The AOKP is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean released. Upgrading your HTC One XL to AOKP 4.2.2 is somewhat like upgrading your phone to the most latest Android operating system.
AOKP JB-MR1 Build 4 info
Jelly Bean Milestone Release 1 Build 4 based on AOSP 4.2.2. This update focused on bug fixes, a flawless AOSP merge and also on extending Android Open Kang Project lunch table.
Disclaimer: The ROM developers, recovery developers and this including myself shall not be held responsible if damage that might happen to your phone. Installing a custom ROM will void the warranty of your device. Use of the files and this guide is solely at your own risks.
All software tools, ROM, firmwares and recoveries belongs to each respective owners and developers.
Install CWM or TWRP recovery on your HTC One XL for AOKP ROM
CWM (ClockWorkMOD) or TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project) for HTC One XL (Evita). This depends on your custom recovery of choice, you can grab one these custom recovery and install it first into your phone so that you will be able to install the ROM. If you already have these recovery installed on your HTC one XL, just skip this procedure and proceed to downloading or installing the AOKP JB-MR1 Build 4 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
Grab CWM from here:
http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager (official website)
Grab TWRP from here:
http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/99 (official website)
CWM Recovery or TWRP Recovery Flashing procedure:
First and foremost, you must have your HTC One XL bootloader unlocked. Second, you must have the necessary drivers for your device installed ,ADB, ADB drivers, and fastboot – ADB and fasboot files.
1. Placed the ADB and fastboot drivers in as separate folder in the root directory of your computer (C drive).
2. Download the Clockworkmod or TWRP Recovery image file and change the name to CWM.img and or TWRP recovery. This is only optional if you want it easy to remember file name.
3. Place your newly-named CWM.img or TWRP.img file in the directory where your Fastboot files are located.
4. Shut off n or Power down your device.
5. Hold down the “VOLUME DOWN” button, then press and hold the POWER button for a few seconds. Just continue to hold VOLUME DOWN until your bootloader screen appears.
6. You will then get into a bootloader screen with the following options – FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, FACTORY RESET, CLEAR STORAGE, SIMLOCK, IMAGE CRC, and POWER DOWN.
7. Use the VOLUME keys, then toggle down to FASTBOOT, once highlighted simply press the POWER button.
8. Now you should be on FASTBOOT Bootloader screen option.
9. Connect device to your computer using the supplied USB cable.
10. If all things done well, the word FASTBOOT will now change and says FASTBOOT USB. From here, avoid interrupting the device while in Fastboot USB mode.
11. Now, run the Command Prompt window on your PC, in the search field type cmd, and then press Enter.
You must now change the directory to where your Fastboot files are located in a drive and the folder name. e.g. “c:\fastboot”. Then type the following command in the Command Prompt window: cd c:\fastboot
Then hit Enter key.
12. Next you need to type the following command line:
The Blue marks is the name of your CWM or TWRP img. (I just used the recovery name for it’s easy to remember).
fastboot flash recovery CWM.img
fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
13. Hit Enter key, this will take only a few seconds to flash the recovery
14. Once the flashing completed, Reboot your device
Finish! You now have the CWM or TWRP Recovery on your phone. Now proceed to installation of the ROM
Flash AOKP Build 4 JB-MR1 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on HTC One XL
Please take note that this ROM or firmware is to be used only on HTC One XL (AT&T). This is a custom firmware, if you will experience some strange behavior of your device after installation please don’t complain it to me. If you are ready to do this, just go ahead grab the files and flash it.
Download the AOKP JB-MR1 Build 4 Android 4.2.2 ROM and Google Apps for your HTC One XL to your computer. Assuming that you already have CWM or TWRP recovery installed from here forward.
Evita – AOKP JB-MR1 Build 4 4.2.2
Google Apps for Android 4.2.2
Step 1: make sure your phone’s battery is fully charge.
Step 2: Connect your HTC One XL phone to the computer via USB cable.
Step 3: Copy and then paste the “aokp_evita_jb-mr1_build-4.zip” file and the “Google Apps zip” to the root directory of your SDcard (external memory card). Then disconnect the phone from the computer.
Step 4: Make a nandroid back-up of your current ROM and all of important files and then perform full erase and wipe dalvik cache via recovery.
- Power down the phone and disconnect from the computer.
- Reboot the phone in “Recovery Mode” by going into recovery via fastboot. Hold down the “VOLUME DOWN” button, then press and hold the POWER button for a few seconds. Just continue to hold VOLUME DOWN until your bootloader screen appears.
- Select “hboot” from the fastboot menu then “recovery” from the hboot menu)
- Select “backup and restore” choose your options to “back up data”.
- Then select “erase cache”
- Then go to “advanced” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
Step 5: Flash the “aokp_evita_jb-mr1_build-4.zip” file and the “Google Apps zip”
- Scroll down to this option “flash zip from SD card” and press the Power button to enter.
- Press the Power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
- Use the volume keys, then navigate to the “aokp_evita_jb-mr1_build-4.zip” file that you put onto your SD card and select it by pressing the Power button.
- Confirm the zip file flashing on the next screen. Wait until it finishes
- Now, Install the Google Apps zip file using the same process above.
Step 6: Hit the Go back button and reboot the phone, by selecting “reboot system now” . Wait, for a few minutes until it completely finishes.
Done! Your HTC One XL should now runs with AOKP JB-MR1 Build 4 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. You can then check how it performs.