Advance users can now install ClocWorkMod Recovery and root Samsung Galaxy Note2 N7100. The Samsung Galaxy Note2 N7100 is an amazing device and already runs in Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean, this is the successor of Samsung Galaxy Note N7000. Installing root will offer some extra benefits like installing custom ROM, apps that requires root access.
This guide will show you the rest on how to properly root your Samsung galaxy Note2 N7100. Read carefully some guidelines and the step by steps and procedures below before proceeding. This has been done and been very simple for advance users, but a little bit tricky for just a typical users.
Downside of Rooting your Samsung Galaxy Note2 N7100
New users ofttimes ask me this. “Is this safe?”
I will make this clear for once and for all new android users, before you proceed read this first. Rooting makes some things might went frustrating for beginners. So, I will put some extra downside info here first before you’ll attempt rooting your device.
1. Rooting will void the warranty of your Galaxy Note2.
Samsung put a system security system unto their devices and once you root your Samsung Galaxy Note2 N7100 it can be triggered and will result to void the warranty of your device. (But this can be reverse in a required solution, just like installing a rooted stock ROM which already rooted and bypass the binary counter).
2. There is a possibility that you can’t get any official firmware update unto your Galaxy Note2 via OTA or Samsung Kies.
The point to this, Samsung will stop supporting for rooted devices and if you doesn’t know how to make use of this, you’ll in trouble.
(this can also be reverse for a precise solution)
For Advanced users
advance users, you already know the drill but here’s some downside you’ll regret for now, but this is still temporary since the Galaxy Note2 is still new and a few development still in working process.
1. This will trip the binary flash counter of the phone. Chainfire’s “Triangle Away” will not work to reset the flash counter by now but probably will work sooner until a new build is release.
Benefits of rooting your Samsung Galaxy Note2
Once your device is rooted, you can install access and do the following:
1. Install custom ROM and OTA update on CWM format via CWM recovery using update zip.
3. Install modified Kernels, Modems, and other binary images.
2. Back-up and restore files easily.
CWM6 add new backup format : dedupe (+speed -size)
Menu “choose backup format” can switch backup format.
Use dup format:
checksum and index file,and boot recovery in “clockworkmod/backups/xx-xx-xx-xx” directory.
backup file in “clockworkmod/backups/blobs” directory.
Use tar format:
all backup file in “clockworkmod/backups/xx-xx-xx-xx” directory.
How to root and install CWM on Samsung Galaxy Note2 N7100
Now, if you already made up your mind and wants to proceed rooting and installing CWM on your Samsung Galaxy Note2, just read the step by step details below.
Disclaimer: We shall not be held responsible if any undesired outcomes by using this guide. Proceed at your own risk!
Grab the following files
Cwm recovery 188.8.131.52 + Root for n7100 & i317 – These root and CWM files has been created by [Chenglu] (XDA-developer senior member) you can find the most latest version of CWM recovery on his original thread.
If you only needed CWM Recovery, choose this file
N7100 CWM Recovery(tested):
I317 CWM Recovery(tested):
Odin Flasher and USB driver
SGN2 USB Driver
– Make sure the battery is fully charge
– Use a good working USB cable wire built for Galaxy Note2
– No need to enable USB debugging since we are using Odin here and no need to back-up since this will not delete the data from your phone.
1. Install the USB driver first.
2. Run Odin downloader tool on your desktop.
3. In Odin window, ensure that the “Re-Partition” remain unchecked, leave the “Auto-Reboot” and “F-Reset” remains checked.
4. Now, load the Root + CWM in Odin. Click on the PDA button then select the cwm6-root-note2.tar root file, or if you only want the CWM without root just select the cwm6-recovery-note2.tar.md5
5. Set the Galaxy Note in download mode before connecting it to your computer or laptop.
Turn the device off, once completely shut down hold down the ‘HOME’ + ‘VOLUME DOWN’ buttons and press the ‘POWER’ button for about 2 seconds until a WARNING! Screen appears. Press the ‘VOLUME UP’ button to continue or enter Download Mode. You will then see and Android robot and states “Downloading.. Do not turn of target!!”
6. Connect the phone to PC via USB. Then make sure you can see as phone “Added” in Odin log box or a highlighted COM:ID once the device is detected,
7. Now hit the “START” button in lower part of Odin once the connection is secured and the root.tar file is already loaded.
8. Just wait until it successfully finishes. The phone will just then reboot.
9. Remove the phone from PC connection.
Once completely finish rooting, you may then confirm if the root and CWM is properly installed.
How to access CWM Recovery
First switch off device, then press the 3 key combination (Volume Up+Home+Power)then once Samsung text appears on screen, release the power button.
Do not hit the 3 key combo while your device is turned On or you’re in UI settings. You’ll probably get this error.
That’s it, Enjoy!
Full credits to Chenglu for creating the root kernel. Utacka and afilopou for additional screenshots and info.