If you have a bricked LG G2 and face a frustrating issues such as stuck at LG logo, stays on TWRP recovery after doing any OTA software Update if you have root and TWRP installed. These methods also fixes some other problems if you are having bootloop and even you can’t connect your phone into your computer.
These problems are commonly happens if the device has gone into some modifications such as installing root access and custom recoveries. According to most LG G2 users reports that the bricked only occurs
after taking an OTA update while the phone has root and custom recovery installed.
Before diving into the plunged to fix your bricked LG G2 just make sure that you can still recall how it resulted into bricked. Unbricking your LG G2 will take some different approach, some may work for your LG G2 and maybe not.
Common Signs of a Bricked LG G2
Here are the following signs if you already have your LG G2 bricked, as there are two types bricks the soft-brick and hard-brick. Soft-bricks is commonly called just a minor problem and can be fixed with some simple to crucial process – this means that you can fix and recover it on your own but sometimes maybe not. While hard-bricked means that your phone is totally screwed, but there is a small chance that you can fix it but most of the time you cannot and your last option is send it back to your dealer to get it repaired. Well you are going to cover the paperweight for the repair as you caused the damaged, as the phones warranty voids after doing some modifications.
Soft-Bricked LG G2
• Stuck at LG logo – It just stays and hang on the start-up Logo and it won’t boot normally. It also occurs without any valid reasons and might caused by excessive third-party apps.
• Bootloop – It just keep on restarting on the welcome screen and won’t go any further from there.
• Stuck in TWRP Recovery – This occurs if your LG G2 has root and runs with TWRP recovery after an OTA update failure.
Hard-bricked LG G2
• No Download Mode – the phone cannot get into download mode.
• Can’t connect to a computer – the computer cannot recognize the phone.
• Displays a Black screen when the phone is turn on but the logo of LG never display into the screen.
• No signs of life when turned on and did not shows a battery light while charging.
Now, before you decide to send back your LG G2 for repair, you might wanna try to fix and unbrick
it out of your own. It might save you time, some extra cost for the damage and likewise there is nothing to lose trying these LG G2 unbricking procedures. Just read on below and choose any unbricking method that applies the current state of your bricked LG G2.
How to fix a Bricked LG G2 Stuck at LG logo
If you have a LG G2 that just stuck at LG logo you may try to perform a factory hard reset first. The system files here might have been jammed causing the device screen frozen and will not boot into normal mode. But you must try to reboot your LG G2 into factory hard reset via recovery mode if you do not have any idea of what causing the problem. Performing hard reset will erase your data during the process, you cannot make a back up of your files since you cannot fully access your device at this state.
How to factory hard reset LG G2 in Stock Recovery
This has worked on unmodified LG G2, meaning you did not touch your LG G2 system OS into some modification like rooting and any custom recovery such as TWRP and CWM. Your handset is completely running with the official firmware and the stock recovery is still intact.
1.) While your LG G2 is turned off, press and hold the Volume Down key.
2.) With the Volume Down key held, press and hold the Power key.
3.) Release both keys when the Recovery appears on the screen.
4.) Press the Volume Down key to scroll to and highlight Yes –delete all user data, then press the Power key.
5.) Once the wipe is complete, press the Power key to select reboot system now.
Some LG G2 variant like T-Mobile, there is no way to enter recovery while the handset already runs on a 4.4.2 firmware as of now. Itt doesn’t come built into the phone but you may need to root your phone and install a custom recovery first.
How to factory hard reset LG G2 in TWRP Recovery
This is for those who have had installed root and running custom recovery such as TWRP Recovery and or any other custom recoveries like CWM Recovery as the process are similar to each other but only differs on the screen layouts.
1.) First, turn on off your phone.
2.)Then press and hold the volume down and power button at the same time, it may just take for about 3 seconds until the LG logo appears on the screen.
3.) Then release the two buttons and then press and hold them again.
4.) Just keep on pressing the buttons until the recovery mode menu will be displayed on your LG G2.
5.) It asks if you want to factory reset so you need to press the power key to confirm and power again then it will load the recovery. Following the prompts to a factory reset screen will not actually factory reset your phone if you have a custom recovery installed.
Tap the Advanced Wipe feature from the same screen. From here, just tick the boxes next to Dalvik Cache, System, Data and Cache, then swipe the slider at the bottom to perform a full wipe. Once the wipe is complete, press the Power key to select reboot system now.
How to Fix bricked LG G2 that stays on Bootloop
Fix LG G2 from bootloop after installing Mod
You may first try to perform a factory reset and see if the bootloop will go away. But if you have been tinkering around with an awesome mod but the mod isn’t compatible with your handset LG G2, so of-course it ended up it Bootloops that often occurs when you screwed up from modding. Assuming that your LG G2 is rooted and runs with custom recovery from here and you have made a back-up out from it. You can simply restore that back up files from TWRP recovery Restore button. From TWRP’s main screen, tap the Restore button then select the back up you want to restore. When you do not have any back up, you may try to re-flash your previous mod before the bootloop appears.
Fix LG G2 from bootloop while returning back to stock firmware
This is for advanced users that have been quietly done some modding and have decided on restoring the device from custom to official firmware. This can be fix by performing factory reset, (just read the method above for factory data reset).
How to Fix bricked LG G2 stuck in Recovery after taking OTA update
If you have LG G2 rooted and installed with TWRP recovery then suddenly and automatic OTA update came around but then its too late that your phone just stuck in TWRP Recovery. If you bricked your phone after doing an OTA Update with root and TWRP installed and happens that it stuck at recovery. This can be fixed either by installing the official firmware via flashtool using the KDZ file but sometimes your phone can’t boot into Download mode and it won’t connect to the computer, so this could be a very frustrating situation.
Before doing anything else you may first try this, this has been reportedly worked on some LG G2 users at Androidcentral forum and thanks to the folks at XDA-developers for this workaround.
On your TWRP terminal command type this codes.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota
then hit enter
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc
Then hit enter and reboot.
How to fix bricked LG G2 by restoring back the stock firmware in KDZ file
This method will not just fix your bricked LG G2 but also wipes any mods you have made and let your device to start clean again. The process is a little bit technical but it’s worth it to try especially when you badly needed to recover your bricked LG G2. This method has been all around at XDA-developers for quite some time now and I’d just put it up here just in-case someone doesn’t even knew the important part of restoring your phone to official firmware. Yes, restoring your phone to official firmware again will fix any bricked problem.
On this process you have to make sure that you are going to install back the stock firmware that match with your LG G2 model number only.
LG G2 model numbers:
International – D802
AT&T – D800
T-Mobile – D801
Sprint – LS980
Verizon – VS980
Canada – D803
Latin America – D805
Japan – L-01F
Korea – F320S, F320L, F320K
The Files Needed!
- Firmware Files – HERE!
- Download LG Drivers – LG Drivers Here – 10.9 Mb
- Verizon Drivers (Verizon Only) LG_VZW_United_v2.11.1.exe – 7.8 Mb
- Download LG Flash Tool 2014 tool and extract – LG_Flash_Tool_2014.zip – 3.1 Mb
- Enter to Download Mode, Turn the Power Off the while its Off keep pressing the Volume Up and plug USB data into your PC.
- Run LGFlashTool2014.exe
- (If you cannot run LGFlashTool2014.exe, please install Visual C++ Runtime Library) – Download HERE
- Normal Flash: Flash ROM without losing any data. Only use this when you need to fix system error. Beware of boot loop when flashing ROM that differ from current ROM on your phone or MOD ROM.
- CSE Flash: Choose this option when you need a fresh format. All data will be gone. It’s suitable for upgrading or downgrading ROM or simply use this when you need to back to
How to fix bricked LG G2 by restoring back the official firmware in TOT file
This has also been proven and effective method on AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile and among other international LG G2 variants. Instead of using the LG G2 stock firmware KDZ files but it uses a different approached using the so-called “TO” files. All you need here is grab the correct Stock Image & DLL file according to your LG G2 model number.
- Install the LG drivers downloaded above.
- Install LGFlashTools v1.8 (but don’t run it)
- Extract the TOT file from the ZIP
- When LG Flash Tool is installed, do not launch it.
- Copy MegaLock.dll to C:\LG\LGFlashTool, This is a hidden folder so enable “hidden folders”. Replace the old MegaLock.dll file if you have already installed LG Flash Tool on your computer.
- When the firmware is downloaded, boot your LG G2 into Download Mode. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up key and then plug the USB cable.
- Launch LG Flash Tool.
- You might see a window with Korean language, just click on OK.
- Check the Select Manual Mode on the top.
- Make sure under Device Manager the PORT number is set to COM 41.
- Click the DLL box and choose the dll file from above for you phone model.
- Click the S/W box and select the firmware file with .tot extension.
- Now click the Yellow arrow button on the top left of the main window. The firmware installation will be triggered. Ignore if you see any temporary error and just wait patiently till it is finished. Do not close the Flash Tool window.
- Press and hold power button until phone turns off, leaving USB cable connected to device and computer ,immediately hold volume up button until phone boots it into Download Mode.
Just to make sure about this process just head-over at XDA-developers for further information and get some support from your fellow LG G2 users.
Fixing a bricked LG G2 isn’t that much easy on some part if you aren’t a tech-savvy. If this method above hasn’t worked out for you then there is nothing I can’t add here, but the most easiest way is sending it back to your dealer to get it fix.