Here’s a working method to root AT&T’s Samsung galaxy S2 (SGH-I727) Skyrocket that has been upgraded to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean build- I727UCMC1. To root your Galaxy S2, all you need is to install the latest SuperSU via TWRP recovery. This root method has been tested to work with the latest Jelly bean update. So, just follow the step by step guide below and get your device fully rooted.
Disclaimer: Rooting voids the warranty of your device. Proceed at your own risk!
Again, this rooting method only works with AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 with running Android 4.1.2 JB build I727UCMC1, do not use it other Samsung galaxy S2 variants.
Step 1: Install the Galaxy S2 TWRP Recovery
- Make sure the battery is fully charge
- Run Odin downloader tool.
- Reboot the phone into download mode – Turn it OFF. Then hold down both volume buttons and plug connect USB cable into your phone. (or hold volume down and power button). Press the volume up button when you see this menu.
- Just be sure that Re-Partition is NOT checked. leave Auto reboot and F-Reset time checked by default.
- Click the PDA button in Odin. Browse to the TWRP file “openrecovery-twrp-184.108.40.206-skyrocket.tar” you
- downloaded and select it.
- Now hit Start button and Odin will flash the recovery.
- Once Odin has finished flashing you will see a green PASS.
Step 2: Install SuperSU to Root your Galaxy S2
- Copy the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25 in the root directory of your SDcard.
- Reboot into recovery. Power off your phone. Hold both volume buttons and the power button at the same time. When the phone vibrates, let go of the power button but keep holding both volume buttons. In a few seconds you should be in the recovery menu.
- Navigate to “Install Update from SD card”
- Now look for the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip. then install it.
- Just follow the TWRP prompts.
- Now your fully rooted.
How to unroot?
If you need to undo root, all you need is to Odin back to stock I747UCMC1 on your Galaxy S2 i727, grab it here and flash it through Odin same method in flashing the TWRP recovery above
This Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T (SGH-I727) Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean UCMC1 root method was originally posted by [forrest89sei] via XDA-developers original thread. Credits and thank’s goes to him and all the developers involved on this rooting method.
Does this root method perfectly works on your Samsung Galaxy S2 I727? Tell us any issues you might encountered.