Philz touch CWM6 now gets a newly update to version 4.88.1 that added some stuff fix previous issues. You can use this version if you want to root the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 that has been updated to I9100XWLSE or I9100UHMS8 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official released. On this guide we are going to use PhilZ Touch 4.88.1 that now updated and works for the I9100XWLSE or with new baseband build I9100XXLS8 4.1.2 Jelly Bean stock firmware. The XWLSE is recently rolled out in Russia, then followed in Ukraine, Uzbekistan, and the rest of countries which I forgot to mention. While the UHMS8 is released in Latin America regions.
Philz-CWM6 root kernel does not just root your Samsung Galaxy S2 but it also adds up the enhanced clockworkmod 6 full touch based recovery (CWM base 126.96.36.199) on your device in just simple steps ahead. This root is absolutely safe for it has a “Patched kernel” to avoid brick bug issues. This is also a handy rooting technique by way of just flashing it via Stock Recovery or in Odin without the frustrating yellow triangle.
PhilZ Touch v.4.88.1 Features
- migrate from cm10 to new cm10.1 source
- fix fs_type2 is fs_type to maintain ext4 external storage compatibility with fs_type2 entry
- fix redefined MACRO for ITEM_APPLY_SDCARD
- merge cmw 188.8.131.52 changes (version change only: ignored cwm commit: block google music cache from nandroid operations)
- fix: data partition was always restored in Advanced Restore menu
- in custom jobs: possibility to disable .android_secure from restore/backup as per TWRP/ors specs
- option to auto-restore recovery settings without a prompt screen on reboot
- ors support: fill ORS official specifications and more:
- optimize on boot check for openrecoveryscript command file
- add ors support for backup options: selected partitions, compression and md5 toggle
- fix: as per ors specifications, ors will now restore standard partitions when no options are set in script
- ors restore now supports TWRP and PhilZ Touch custom backup path
- ors-mount.sh: better support for path conversion from main system to recovery mount points
- ors backup target volume can be set by user in nandroid settings
- misc ors log fixes for special partitions ignored in cwm
How to root Samsung Galaxy S2 runs with I9100XWLSE or I9100UHMS8 4.1.2 Jelly Bean using Philz Touch v4.88.1 with CWM6
There are two root packages you can choose, either install it via stock recovery or the tar file which can be flash through Odin. You can grab the files here - forum.xda-developers.com.
Method 1: Install Root via Stock Recovery Update zip
Recommended Method – Recovery (.zip) packages instructions – Will also root your phone
- They come in the form of -signed.zip files that can be flashed in stock recovery 3e: No Yellow Triangle
- Download PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSE-OXE-4.88.1-signed.zip kernel matching your ROM
- Put the previously downloaded PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSE-OXE-4.88.1-signed.zip file on your external sd card
- Boot into stock recovery (volume up+home+power)
- Select “apply update from external storage”.
- Now select the PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSE-OXE-4.88.1-signed.zip file you copied in previous step
- You are rooted + new PhilZ-cwm6 kernel with CWM6
Method 2: Install Root using Odin
- Grab Odin3_v3.07
- Grab and install the USB driver
- Boot the device into download mode
- start odin3 and configure it as in picture below
- connect phone in download mode to PC via USB
- press start to flash the tar.md5 package
- to root, download the root file from here ( Choose Method 1)
For more detailed instructions head over to XDA-Developer original thread anddirectly ask any assistance from Phil - the developer himself.