Here’s how to root the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 that has been updated to I9100XWLSD Android 4.1.2 Jelly bean official released. On this guide we are going to use PhilZ Touch v.4.22 that now updated and works for the I9100XWLSD or with new baseband build I9100XXLS8 4.1.2 Jelly Bean stock firmware. The XWLSD is recently rolled out in Spain, Italy then followed in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland and the rest of Nordic Countries. Other regions might also follow soon with the same software build number I9100XWLSD.
Baseband version: I9100XXLS8
@ dpi DELL228 # 3
SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 31 14:48:54
Build version: JZO 54K.I9100XWLSD
Philz-CWM6 root kernel does not just root your Samsung Galaxy S2 but it also adds up the enhanced clockworkmod 6 full touch based recovery on your device in just simple steps ahead. This root is absolutely safe for it has a “Patched kernel” to avoid brick bug issues. This is also a handy rooting technique by way of just flashing it via Stock Recovery or in Odin without the frustrating yellow triangle.
PhilZ Touch v.4.22 Features
- multi-zip flashing from custom set locations
- -after installing a new ROM that wipes recovery settings, on next reboot, you are prompted to restore them from a backup if you have done one
- New menus separator lines that you can show/hide, set colors and transparency. Useful for solid color themes, like Black
- fix default menu highlight transparency was set to a wrong default value
- code optimizing for file checks
- mix code optimizing
How to root Samsung Galaxy S2 runs with I9100XWLSD 4.1.2 Jelly Bean using Philz Touch v4.22 with CWM6
There are two root packages you can choose, either install it via stock recovery or the tar file which can be flash through Odin. You can grab the files here – forum.xda-developers.com.
Method 1: Install Root via Stock Recovery Update zip
Recommended Method – Recovery (.zip) packages instructions – Will also root your phone
- They come in the form of -signed.zip files that can be flashed in stock recovery 3e: No Yellow Triangle
- Download PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSD-OXX-4.22-signed.zip kernel matching your ROM
- Put the previously downloaded PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSD-OXX-4.22-signed.zip file on your external sd card
- Boot into stock recovery (volume up+home+power)
- Select “apply update from external storage”.
- Now select the PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSD-OXX-4.22-signed.zip file you copied in previous step
- You are rooted + new PhilZ-cwm6 kernel with CWM6
Method 2: Install Root using Odin
- Grab Odin3_v3.07
- Grab and install the USB driver
- Boot the device into download mode
- start odin3 and configure it as in picture below
- connect phone in download mode to PC via USB
- press start to flash the tar.md5 package
- to root, download the root file from here ( Choose Method 1)
For more detailed instructions head over to XDA-Developer original thread and directly ask any assistance from Phil - the developer himself.